2021 Kia Sorento transmission light & wont move

TammyG39

Reaction score
Omg! Not even 25k miles and my transmission light came on and my vehicle won't move!

Got this diagnostic code from my phone app...P1C2D03 and can't seem to find anything online about it. Got my car to the shop but they are closed until Monday.

Any one else have this? Heard of this? Any calming advice?

DaniLou

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me on Friday!! I’m also waiting for it to be looked at. I have a 2022 sorento. Good luck!!

MalloryS

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me TWICE -two Wednesdays ago. Kia wouldn't fix it because it showed as "history" code. Dealership gave it back to me last Friday. I drove it home, no issues; then went to start it to pick up my son from daycare and without putting it in Reverse, the car told me to "stop safely immediately" the check engine light came on and I had to tow it back to the dealership. Mine is the same code P1C2D03 and they tell me they've never seen this code before. It's something with the transmission and they are waiting on Kia Tech Line to tell them what to do. I have 8500 miles on it. It's a 2021 and I've had it for a year! Insane.

TammyG39

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me on Friday!! I’m also waiting for it to be looked at. I have a 2022 sorento. Good luck!!
You've had yours less then a year, so your options, as far as Lemon Law/ Buy back will be 'better' then me, but this should not be happening on NEW cars with this low mileage. Were you able to get a loaner? My dealership claims to be out. Rentals cost about 900/wk and I'm still not sure of the reimbursement of them by Kia.

TammyG39

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me TWICE -two Wednesdays ago. Kia wouldn't fix it because it showed as "history" code. Dealership gave it back to me last Friday. I drove it home, no issues; then went to start it to pick up my son from daycare and without putting it in Reverse, the car told me to "stop safely immediately" the check engine light came on and I had to tow it back to the dealership. Mine is the same code P1C2D03 and they tell me they've never seen this code before. It's something with the transmission and they are waiting on Kia Tech Line to tell them what to do. I have 8500 miles on it. It's a 2021 and I've had it for a year! Insane.
Did they give you a loaner? My dealership claims to be out of them.

MalloryS

Reaction score
Omg! Not even 25k miles and my transmission light came on and my vehicle won't move!

Got this diagnostic code from my phone app...P1C2D03 and can't seem to find anything online about it. Got my car to the shop but they are closed until Monday.

Any one else have this? Heard of this? Any calming advice?
Any updates on your vehicle?
You've had yours less then a year, so your options, as far as Lemon Law/ Buy back will be 'better' then me, but this should not be happening on NEW cars with this low mileage. Were you able to get a loaner? My dealership claims to be out. Rentals cost about 900/wk and I'm still not sure of the reimbursement of them by Kia.
No loaners are available. Kia said they reimburse something like $40 or $44/day, which is insane given the market - it was going to be $3500 to rent a vehicle for the month! I'm using my mother-in-law's vehicle right now. Totally agree, this should not be happening on cars with such low mileage! I read an article that the design of the transmission might be an issue. I haven't heard anything from Kia yet on what they are going to do with my car.

TammyG39

Reaction score
Any updates on your vehicle?

No loaners are available. Kia said they reimburse something like $40 or $44/day, which is insane given the market - it was going to be $3500 to rent a vehicle for the month! I'm using my mother-in-law's vehicle right now. Totally agree, this should not be happening on cars with such low mileage! I read an article that the design of the transmission might be an issue. I haven't heard anything from Kia yet on what they are going to do with my car.
No updates yet other then they are waiting to hear from Kia whoever they have to refer it to. I would think our warranty*allows* as much $$ as it cost to cover our rental since they are short loaners. Kinda like lack of preparation on their side shouldn't take money out of my pocket.

DaniLou

Reaction score
UPDATE:: The dealership has been working with Kia all week and running tests. After running several tests a day, they determined there is a problem WITHIN the mechanisms of the transmission so the entire transmission needs to be replaced. The bigger problem now is that there are ZERO transmissions available in the world so now we wait.
If your dealership is not offering you a rental I would call Kia’s 800 number and speak with customer service to get to the bottom of this. We aren’t getting our cars back any time soon.
When they connected my car to the scanner it was only reading “misfire” codes so I had to send them screen shots of the messages and codes I got through the app. This is all very bizarre.

MalloryS

Reaction score
UPDATE: I heard from dealership - need a new transmission. Sounds like the same as you DaniLou. It's a gear thing or something inside the transmission and given the design they can't take it apart and fix it; needs a whole new transmission. It's on backorder so no clue how long it will take.

TammyG39

Reaction score
UPDATE: I heard from dealership - need a new transmission. Sounds like the same as you DaniLou. It's a gear thing or something inside the transmission and given the design they can't take it apart and fix it; needs a whole new transmission. It's on backorder so no clue how long it will take.
I heard back this morning, she didn't go into details on the phone, I might try to find out more when I go about time frame for the transmission BUT I do have a loaner now. So one thing at a time I guess. Too bad they wont pay our monthly payment while they have our vehicles. I know I know... I got a loaner, blah blah. Not the point. Will keep everyone posted, as Im sure you all will too!

DaniLou

Reaction score
I’m glad we finally have an answer and hope it can get taken care of soon.

DaniLou

Reaction score
I heard back this morning, she didn't go into details on the phone, I might try to find out more when I go about time frame for the transmission BUT I do have a loaner now. So one thing at a time I guess. Too bad they wont pay our monthly payment while they have our vehicles. I know I know... I got a loaner, blah blah. Not the point. Will keep everyone posted, as Im sure you all will too!
Yay! I’m so glad you at least have a rental car now!! And I agree about them covering the payment or at least putting it on hold. I did not sign a contract for a Subaru Outback, ya know?! But nonetheless, I’m thankful to have it.