Lights shutting off in auto mode

G

G-228149

We have a 2018 Sorento and the wife has reported that while the lights are set in the “auto” mode that while driving ( during night driving) the lights will shut off. The Kia dealer hasn’t been able to replicate the issue so they can’t repair/replace anything. Has anyone else had this same issue?

Sorento Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
We have a 2018 Sorento and the wife has reported that while the lights are set in the “auto” mode that while driving ( during night driving) the lights will shut off. The Kia dealer hasn’t been able to replicate the issue so they can’t repair/replace anything. Has anyone else had this same issue?
That sounds pretty dangerous. Could this be happening when she moves into a well-lit parking lot? Or when driving down a dark road?

Terice

Reaction score
My 2018 has started having this same issue. It’s terrifying on the highway at night. Does it only happen for others in Auto mode?

gunrunner

Reaction score
Don't use auto mode. Since the Sorento turns off the lights shortly after the ignition, just leave them on, they double as daytime driving lights.

Doug722

Reaction score
make a video it with your phone when it gets dark so they can see it. If they can’t replicate it and you have a video that is enough proof. are your headlights the auto lights as well for if they are it’s sounds like a relay to activate them from day to night has burned out maybe.

Doug722

Reaction score
Reading into this it seems to be a switch that fails in this generation and cost around 500 bucks to get fixed. One guy said his Kia service wouldn’t fix it but if I was him I would just call Kia h.o. it’s seeing a ton of people with the same problem. I know my 2011 kia Sorento I had daytime bulb and then headlight separate. Don’t know if the 2018 is the same. Now led strip light seems to be the new daytime lights with 2 to 4 led bulbs as headlights for night.