Replacing halogen bulbs on 2021 Sorento S trim

Welcome to the one and only Sorento forum!

Feel free to post as a guest. But we'd love it if you joined us!

RR_1587

Hi all,

just came home with our new 2021 Sorento S this past weekend. This is my first Kia experience and I am very happy with the car so far. My only gripe is the use of Halogens in all turn signals, rear taillamps, reverse and even the license plate light unless you get the higher SX trim. I plan to eventually swap them out to LED bulbs and was wondering if any member has done it so far and have any recommendations? I did a search and found no results. I'm guessing cause the car is still relatively new.

Thanks in advance.

gunrunner

You're right, too new for the bulb guys to catch up. Given that there's halogen in there now, you also want to be looking for the ones that have the can bus error prevention resistors or you'll be getting constant warnings that a bulb is out.

2021Sorento

In the same boat here- would appreciate any feedback if someone swaps them out.

Also, I was thinking it would look really sharp to swap out the white “tiger eye” LED strip with yellow LEDs, similar to how the Telluride sports yellow DRLs. (While the Sorento “S” unfortunately does not have DRLs, you can still utilize just the tiger eye strips by turning on the parking lights)

RR_1587

In the same boat here- would appreciate any feedback if someone swaps them out.

Also, I was thinking it would look really sharp to swap out the white “tiger eye” LED strip with yellow LEDs, similar to how the Telluride sports yellow DRLs. (While the Sorento “S” unfortunately does not have DRLs, you can still utilize just the tiger eye strips by turning on the parking lights)

so i did some research by taking out the taillight and it looks for the most part the rear signals and brake light are the same size as the 2020 model. Reverse light is size L-T15 (LASFIT) but i'm trying to figure out how to replace the reverse light by the muffler because it is not the same access as the driver side reverse light. Not sure how to replace the license plate light because it is not the same as the previous generation sorento or telluride. The previous gen. sorento and telluride are easily removeable by a small screw. The 2021 does not have a screw and looks like you have to pry it out, but i don't wanna do just that yet unless someone can confirm for me that i just need to pry it out and replace the license plate light assembly. According to the kia owners manual, the license plate light is an LED assembly so i believe it is not just a bulb that needs to be replaced. Really boggles my mind that Kia would use a warm color LED light for the license plate. I'm having a hard time trying to get the front turn signal out. I see the socket, but i cannot turn counter clockwise as it is too tight. Hopefully someone can confirm that one for us.

Last edited:

RR_1587

I swapped my 2020 Sorento halogen bulbs using LASFIT bulbs. PnP, and no can bus errors. Much better light as well.
once i get all sizes confirmed for my 2021 i plan on getting LASFIT as well. How is the quality of the 1157 for the taillamp? And does it flicker when you step on brakes?

gunrunner

I only replaced the headlights, both high and low beams. I have LED taillights, so I won't be replacing those. I am going to do the turn signals at some point, probably when it gets warmer in the spring. :) I would also like brighter backup lights.

RR_1587

I only replaced the headlights, both high and low beams. I have LED taillights, so I won't be replacing those. I am going to do the turn signals at some point, probably when it gets warmer in the spring. :) I would also like brighter backup lights.
ahh ok. question on your 2020 model though. when your headlights are on, is the park (amber) lights on as well? or is the front amber bulb single use for signaling only? reason i ask is cause LASFIT says front signal is size 1157 and from my understanding 1157 is a dual filament style bulb.

The LASFIT backup light L-T15 are very bright and a nice white with a hint of blue color. i currently have them on my other car and bought a 2nd pair for my Sorento. Just figuring out how to get access to the socket from under the muffler side. Very happy with the results on my other car though.

gunrunner

I recommend sending email to the folks at LASFIT, they were very helpful in getting the proper bulbs for mine. I sent them pictures of the halogen bulb bases and they were able to fix me right up.

I had originally bought LED's from Headlight Experts, but they didn't fit as they needed the not included adapters. They were also real jerks when I called and wanted a 20% restocking charge to return the LED's. I said never mind, I'll take it up with my credit card company and then they decided to give me a full refund. I highly recommend staying as far away from them as possible! I did a search and BB had a bunch of complaints about them, very similar to my experience!
BB Headlight Experts Complaints.

The "parking" lights on the 2020 are a wide strip of white LED illuminated slash below the headlights. The amber lights are only turn signals and emergency flashers. I'm thinking about LED's for the fog lights, but it's a bunch more work to put those in, so I may leave them as halogen bulbs. I will replace the turn signals and backup lights when the weather gets warmer. :)

1611611964876.png

tom4416

I converted all my interior lights and backup lights to LED in a 2018. I tried to convert the headlights, was never happy and if you read this from Daniel Stern lighting, it explains why: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
The problem with LED is that there are so many cheap imported bulbs out there that will last a couple of months and then the electronics burn out. Finding high quality products is a bit of a toss of the dice. It's the same reason my local hardware store no longer carries brand name LED bulbs to replace household incandescent - price competition. The imported bulbs are one dollar, the GE made in the USA ones are five dollars and the customers wouldn't pay it.

RR_1587

just wanted to share that i upgraded the license plate lights to LASFIT size 194/168 LED bulbs. Looks so much better and brighter than the standard little halogen bulbs that come standard on the LX - S trim (not sure what EX and SX have for license plate lights). The light assembly was a bit of a pain to take out. I used a plastic pry and covered the tip of a flathead with a bandana so that i don't scratch the paint. but it was a lot of prying back and forth till the light assembly came loose and i was able to switch out the bulb.

The manual says that the license plate light assmebly is a full LED assembly and to have the dealership replace it. I can confirm that this is FALSE. It's just a plastic housing that houses the 194/168 bulb. This may be the case for the SX trim if it has LED license plate lights but i can definitely confirm for the LX - S trim that the bulbs are replaceable.

G

G-920486

Hi all,

just came home with our new 2021 Sorento S this past weekend. This is my first Kia experience and I am very happy with the car so far. My only gripe is the use of Halogens in all turn signals, rear taillamps, reverse and even the license plate light unless you get the higher SX trim. I plan to eventually swap them out to LED bulbs and was wondering if any member has done it so far and have any recommendations? I did a search and found no results. I'm guessing cause the car is still relatively new.

Thanks in advance.
easy fix those bulbs are very inexpensive and can be found on ebay and amazon (Mini led)

G

G-626402

so i did some research by taking out the taillight and it looks for the most part the rear signals and brake light are the same size as the 2020 model. Reverse light is size L-T15 (LASFIT) but i'm trying to figure out how to replace the reverse light by the muffler because it is not the same access as the driver side reverse light. Not sure how to replace the license plate light because it is not the same as the previous generation sorento or telluride. The previous gen. sorento and telluride are easily removeable by a small screw. The 2021 does not have a screw and looks like you have to pry it out, but i don't wanna do just that yet unless someone can confirm for me that i just need to pry it out and replace the license plate light assembly. According to the kia owners manual, the license plate light is an LED assembly so i believe it is not just a bulb that needs to be replaced. Really boggles my mind that Kia would use a warm color LED light for the license plate. I'm having a hard time trying to get the front turn signal out. I see the socket, but i cannot turn counter clockwise as it is too tight. Hopefully someone can confirm that one for us.
Do you have an email that I can ask questions if you figure it out. I am in the same boat. I try to change the license bulb to a LED but there is not a way to unscrew it or something. Also having trouble with the reverse lights.

gunrunner

I converted all my interior lights and backup lights to LED in a 2018. I tried to convert the headlights, was never happy and if you read this from Daniel Stern lighting, it explains why: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
The problem with LED is that there are so many cheap imported bulbs out there that will last a couple of months and then the electronics burn out. Finding high quality products is a bit of a toss of the dice. It's the same reason my local hardware store no longer carries brand name LED bulbs to replace household incandescent - price competition. The imported bulbs are one dollar, the GE made in the USA ones are five dollars and the customers wouldn't pay it.
Funny thing, I was really unhappy with the lighting from the halogen headlights, and upgrading to the LASFIT LED bulbs made a huge and positive difference. Given my experience, I'll have to disagree with Daniel on this point and continue to use my far superior LED headlights. ;)

tracieok

THE LASFIT ARE THE BEST AND ON THE 2021 SORENTO S YOU HAVE TO PRY ON THE ENDS OF THE TAG LIGHT WITH PLASTIC TOOL TO GET THEM OUT. ON THE 2021 THE FRONT TURN SIGNAL YOU HAVE TO USE NEEDLE NOSE TO TURN THEM LOOSE

tracieok

Make sure you get the canbus LED from Lasfit or you will get errors also get the red bulbs for the rear they look brighter and more RED. I love our 2021 we traded in a 2019 with 44500 miles and got this 2021 S model with 18 inch Tires and it rides so much better.

Doug722

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
I have made the switch on my 2019 niro from halogen to led on the rear backup Lights and headlights. Just make sure you don’t buy the cheap lights for you will get error codes for sure. I bought the sx model just so I don’t have to do anything to it at all and nothing to ever change. all I bought was vent visors for the windows and a rear folding trunk cover so the carpet doesn’t get wrecked.